Friday, October 12, 2012

SO I AM ENGAGED...NOW WHAT?


Hello everyone!  This post today is for all you brides or future brides out there :)  I wanted to give you all a little advice for planning your big day.  I don’t pretend to be “God’s gift to photography” or know everything about weddings but I have learned a few things along the way, while being a photographer AND a bride, that I wanted to share with you.   So here goes…


1.       Have fun!  Yes you heard me :) :) planning a wedding should be fun!  Although it can be stressful at times, if you try to plan in advance you will enjoy these special moments with your fiancĂ©’ and family a lot more.  If you are strapped for time try handing out responsibilities to your bridesmaids, especially if you don’t have a wedding coordinator (I didn’t really).  I am sure your wedding party wouldn’t mind helping you do a little research here and there and they would probably actually consider it a honor :) That’s something I didn’t even think about when planning my wedding and I wish I had! 

Of course you might have the opposite problem…too much “help” from family…this too can be an overwhelming experience.  If you have the case of the "too many chiefs and not enough Indians" you might have to have the discussion about who makes the final decisions…(Pssst…that’s you)….I mean in a nice way of course.   This can be kind of sticky when parents are paying for things but if you stay in budget they shouldn’t have a problem with your desires…and if they do, you might want to explain to them that you want to enjoy the wedding day and would feel more comfortable doing things __X_way or come to an acceptable compromise.  Don’t look back on your wedding day with regrets because you did what “other people” wanted you to do.  I myself had to talk my own Dad into doing a “dance” with me at my wedding.  I love my Dad so much he is a great man…he just comes from a background where you “don’t dance at all” so this was a BIG step out of his comfort zone dancing in front of 250 people! Looking back, I am sooooo glad I convinced him to do it…I wouldn’t give that moment up for the world!  And yes…I cried…and it was worth it!

2.    Use Pinterst!  Ok, so how lucky are modern day brides that they have Pinterst?!!  If you don’t already know Pinterest is a place where a bunch of beautiful ideas are shared in one spot and you can “pin” them on your own electronic pin board to save for later use…all in a visual format of course (which being the photog that I am I LOVE!!)  Also, if you visit a blog and see something you like you can pin an idea from there as well.  Just don’t go on Pinterest hungry…you will end up drooling over your keyboard, I promise! 

3.    Ask for advice and click with your vendors!  Ok, so this is one I didn’t think of either when getting married!  Sure, you are going to have everybody and their Uncle giving you marriage advice BUT your vendors…they know about weddings!  They have done them over and over again.  Tell them about you, what you like, your style your story (these are all the things I want to hear about from my clients) and ask them for advice on the time line and or products and services they offer.  It’s ok to ask a lot of questions…they expect it. 

It’s also so important to click with your vendor not just to “like” their product or services.  Let me tell you…when I was looking for flowers for my wedding I used a florist my friend had used because I loved her bouquets BUT when I met with the florist she was well…rude and unhelpful….maybe she wasn’t having a good day but it left me as a bride with a bad memory of my own wedding! :(  I didn’t know ANYTHING  about flowers except I knew I wanted Gerber Daisy’s.  I didn’t know what was in season or what should go with the Daisy’s to look nice, I just knew my colors and I wanted her to help me with the process.  Instead of being helpful she seemed bothered that I didn’t already know all of this information right away.  In the end, the flowers were pretty (except she did give us all the wrong boutonnieres on the day of the wedding) but I should have gone somewhere else…somewhere that valued my business and used someone that cared enough to help me along with the process and make it fun!  Oh, and one more thing…vendors know vendors so if you find one vendor you love chances are they know others that are great to work with too :) so ask! ;)



4.    Consider a First Look! First looks are not traditional but they are becoming more and more popular.  What is a first look?  It is a time where the bride and groom meet for the first time in a private intimate setting before the wedding ceremony.  Some couples like to say their vows while others just enjoy being able to see each other for the first time and or pray together.  It can really relieve some of the stress for the day.  First looks are really something special…I know I am biased :) but that’s ok.  Another bonus to the first look is being able to get some of those group bridal party shots out of the way.  This will make the after the ceremony group shots more relaxed and can really help with the timeline of your wedding.



5.      Invest in your wedding photographer and videographer
Yes, I know I am biased as a photographer here but hey I did add the videographer on here to! ;)  To me these are the most two important vendors on the list…with the photographer being first of course but seriously.  I also added the videographer on here because this is something we didn’t even have at my reception and I wished we did …even if we had a couple friends take turns videoing at least we would have something!!  Of course, if you can afford a professional go that route. 

As for the photographer, I am not saying you have to go out and pay for the most expensive photographer or even use me :) .  I am saying take the time to find a photographer that you click with that fits your style and budget.  If you find a photographer you love that doesn’t quite fit your budget you might be able to save by making some of the items from your wedding yourself or some photographer’s might give discounts for weddings on a weekday.

Don’t forget to print out those photos though, what if something happens to that CD of images?  Your great grandchildren can’t hang up a CD of images to remember their family history by either!  This is one reason why I offer an exclusive deal with my clients.  They order their prints through an extremely affordable 3rd party PROFESSIONAL printer (meaning I do not profit) ….this is simply because I so badly want my clients to be able to afford to print out their precious memories and hang them on the wall. Make sure to back up those wedding files at a place like photobucket.com.  Did you know you can now upload those images in high resolution there?? As the saying goes, “After the food, flowers, and music are gone, your photos remain.” 




-Melissa McMillen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment